This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out.
A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.
Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on.
Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole.
Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.'
The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'
-- Adapted from a story told on the 'Noel' episode of "The West Wing," December 20, 2000 (first airing).
And thus began Ed Gardner’s executive coaching journey and his belief in the power of empathy.
Using his more than 26 years of experience in Human Resources, Ed works with senior leaders who seek to enhance their professional effectiveness. He believes that small, yet significant changes in behavior and acts of humility... empathy... civility... and kindness can transform good leaders into great leaders.
As the former Vice President of Human Resources for numerous high technology companies, Ed understands the ever-changing demands of the corporate world. He has successfully coached senior level leaders, Vice Presidents, Directors, and high potential employees in a variety of public and private enterprises.
Ed's approach to coaching is simple. He uses a results-driven process founded on the principles of integrity, self-awareness, transparency, and personal accountability. At the core of his coaching philosophy is the belief that coaching is change and only the client can bring about real and sustainable change.
As an accomplished speaker and avid storyteller, Ed is often asked to address groups on his vision – “What the HECK!” – How Humility... Empathy... Civility... and Kindness Can Awaken Greatness in Leaders©”
Ed’s credentials include:
- B.A., Political Science, Miami University in Oxford, OH
- M.A., Geography, Miami University
- M.S., Counseling and Personnel Services, Miami University
- Professional coaching certification, the Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara, CA
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC), the International Coach Federation
- Member, Northern California Professional Coaches and Mentors Association
- Certified in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI®), the California Psychological Inventory (CPI 260®), the Lominger Career Architect/VOICES 360® assessment instrument, and the BarOn EQ-i® Emotional Intelligence inventory
- Significant expertise in designing and coaching executives using customized 360-degree assessment instruments